Saturday, May 13, 2006

Influences: Mike Mignola

People who look at my work see at first glance the heavy Frank Miller influence. It's true that Miller has been the main influence on my style. I've loved his past work in Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil, Wolverine, and especially Sin City. He's just a master of movement, composition, and energy.

However, another main influence on my work has been Mike Mignola. Especially his art as it's evolved since he started on Hellboy. I've been a big fan of Mignola since his covers on from Death in the Family. I've followed every work of his since then. It's rare to find someone with such a singular style. Lately, though he's stripped his style down so much that it's basically a combination of weightless line and shapes of black and white. With this evolution he's become the master of positive/negative composition. His brain comes up with some of the most amazing composition using combination of shapes. I can't even really describe how I feel when I devour his art. Below are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about.



See what I mean? In one glance you can see that these are drawings of Hellboy and the other characters. Another look would show that the image is composed of masses of shapes placed together. The way he ties the two aspects together just amazes me to no end. I'm probably not even making any sense to you right now.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I love Mignola's art. That's why I decided to try and ink a drawing of his I saw posted on the Drawing Board. Here is the result.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Amazing art of your. I love Mignola´s compositions too. Unfortunately the images links are broken, it will be great if you could fix it to us.

congratulations
Sid

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home