Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Feeling a little Batty...

I sketched this out during a sketch session I attended at Borders in Tampa this past weekend. I've been on a real Batman kick lately after getting Pulphope's Batman Year 100. It's such an awesome book and the Eisner was very well deserved. Nobody has done such a fresh and unique take on the character in a very long time and it actually allowed me to see Batman with new eyes. The character's been around for decades and I've gotten to believe that there's nothing new that can be done with the character anymore. Pope's Batman has forced me to reevaluate my belief.

Anyway, here's the pic that I finished last night. I think it's about time we had a good, rollickin', kung-fu action Batman story. There really hasn't been a satisfying story in that vein in years.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Beatty said...

Ron-
Wonderful piece of work!

See you next month at the Orlando-Con!

Let's grab a dinner with some others there on Friday or Saturday?

Keep up the GREAT work!!!

-JBeatty
...glad to see you posting MORE work! Great inspiration...

5:31 AM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks a lot John! Glad you like it.

I'll definitely drop by to chat at the con. It should be a good one.
And dinner on Friday or Saturday is cool with me.

I saw that you went to the Tampa show last weekend. I've never been to that one but it sounds like you had a blast. I'll have to check that out next year. :)

Thanks again for the kind words!

RLS

12:06 PM  
Blogger riq said...

This is one of your best pics I've seen. You've definitely jumbed a certain bar with the quality and subtleness of this one.

The only thing I don't like is that you've but white outlines around his feet. I don't think a suggestion of edges would hur, but you should let most of those edges fall away.

This is begging for some colors.

Great stuff Ron!!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks for the kind words, riq.

Yeah, I think you're right about the outlines. I'll play with them in PS. I'll probably colour this sometime too after I get some other stuff done. A guy I know says that he was going to colour it as well so I'll post that when it's done.

Thanks again, man.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home