Friday, June 15, 2007

Bits and Pieces...

I'm at work so I'll make this short. As usual.

I went back home to Toronto for my nephew's first birthday last weekend. I haven't been home in about two years so I was about overdue. I have to tell you, I really could feel a kind of culture shock when experiencing the attitudes of people back home compared to people down here. I can't quite put it into words why. I don't think I can classify it as a north vs south thing although I think that's a big component. I don't know. I'll have to think about it and talk about it later.

Maybe I'm just homesick.

Anyway, the family is great and they're doing well. My brother's about to graduate from college soon and my dad's about to retire. Life moves on. It's hard to realize the reality of that when you live so far away.

I was able to spend a day at the Toronto Comicon while I was home. It's not a big con by any means, but they had some good people there. Primarily, I was happy I got to spend time with Mike Oeming, Ivan Brandon, and pals and was also to meet my buddy Michael Cho for the first time. It was cool to see Darywn Cooke, Cameron Stewart, and the other Toronto regulars as well. The party after the show was pretty neat but I unfortunately wasn't able to drink as I had to drive later. I need to get the shirt Oeming was wearing though 'cause he got hit on about four or five times while I was there. haha

Here's the piece of art I'm posting today. I started it during the con and finished it yesterday. It's a pin-up for Scott Wegener's comic, Atomic Robo.



I'm still working on Wager pages so that's taking a lot of my drawing time. I'm just so damn slow!

Talk to you guys later.

8 Comments:

Blogger Eric Talbot said...

That's cool! There's something special about working with black and white on colored paper.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks Eric! Glad you like it.
I think I'll do more pieces like this.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Vanhoozerbot said...

Beautiful work man.
I really like it.

Your inks are mind numbingly good.

Jeremy

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks a lot Jeremy! I try. :)

8:50 AM  
Blogger John Beatty said...

Hi Ron-

I just linked over to your site from Eric Canete's!

Really nice work.

I live in Daytona Beach and will be at the Orlando-Con is September. I lived in Orlando for 10 years [/90/01], then moved back to Daytona where I grew up!

I'll stop by and say "hello".

I probably know the place you're doing tee designs for there...I tried to work in that biz for awhile, only on a freelance basis, but their were a lot of hassles...and cheap clients! I still love doing designs for tees but unless you're working for a 'big' company...the 'mom & pop' shops don't know how to sell art!

Anyway...I linked you to my blog and nice to see such good work!

-John Beatty

3:26 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

John, thanks for the kind words. That'd be great to meet you at the Orlando Con. I've been a fan of your work ever since I saw your inks on Mike Zeck's Punisher.

I'm a relative new-comer to FL. I've only been here almost 3 years now. It's been great being here.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the T-shirt industry. I'm glad the company I work for is pretty relaxed and have a few big clients. It is tough, though.

Thanks for the link!

9:39 AM  
Blogger John Beatty said...

Ron-

We'll have to hook up and chat at the show! I'll be there all 3 days.

Thx for the link back!

-JB

12:04 PM  
Blogger Rich Dannys said...

Ron!!
You were at the 'Toronto Comicon' and didn't stop by my Table?!!
For SHAME!!!

Just kiddin'..

I didn't know you were originally from Toronto.. I remember you more as a Buffalo citizen, I think?

Your BLOG is cool.. Glad I found it!
See ya..

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home