Monday, March 12, 2007

Into the Hot Gates...

I saw 300 this past weekend. I know people either love it or hate it. As for me, I'm in the love it camp. I think it's pretty much a picture-perfect adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel. It followed the story of the novel faithfully without being a line-by-line translation. Most of all, the movie was able to capture in its own way the operatic quality Miller tried to convey in the book.
The fighting was top notch. Many people have commented on the abundance of slow-motion shots in the movie. I don't think they detracted from the movie at all. It helped show the beauty of the choreography.
My favourite thing about the movie was the cinematography. The whole movie was like a painting. I could probably pick out any random frame of the movie and it would work as a single still image. This is one of the instances of an all-cgi environment done right.
I actually think that the movie surpassed the book, a pretty rare thing. I'll probably see it again. I really can't wait until it comes out on DVD so I can pick it apart frame by frame. Oh well.

Here's some 300 art...



Here are some others that I've done since the last update.







Catch you all next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Wow! I really love that 300 illo. Fantastic desing and execution.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks Chris! That means a lot, coming from you.

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Big Red One said...

Yeah, 300 rocks, and your illustration is very inspired. I'm a big Hawkman fan as well, so I dug that as well.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Thanks! Glad you like it.
I need to go see 300 again. That was such a visually stunning movie.
The Hawkman was inspired by some Hawkman preview art by Dale Eaglesham. He likened Hawkman to Conan with wings, which is kind of true.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home