Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why So Serious?

Anybody excited for the Batman movie? Of course you are. I know I am.

I drew this for a thread on the Bendis Board. This take is slightly influenced by Dave McKean's grotesque take in Arkham Asylum. Obviously, mine and his don't look at all similar but I just wanted to get across the feeling of a guy whose facial muscles are all constricted and contorted into a rictus. I like Heath Ledger's take on the guy in the upcoming movie based on the trailers I've seen but I don't like their visual conception of the character. He looks less like a freakish carnival reject and more like a painted bum. But that's just me. I'll probably like it more when I see the movie. I'll always prefer Bolland's and McKean's take on the guy, though.

6 Comments:

Blogger Craig Zablo said...

I'll see it, but so far ALL of the Batman movies have fallen a bit short for my tastes.

Dig your Joker though!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Yeah, I feel the same way. The last one was the best one and the closest to what my vision of Batman should be but 3/4 of the way though the movie the train came off its tracks and became just like any other summer action flick. I hope this one does a better job.

12:19 PM  
Blogger flaviano said...

hei stop doing kind comments to my art! want you make me die for flaterness!!!!
hehe thanks man, i really appreciate!

oh, your way to ink is becoming enviable!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

haha You just have to stop making such awesome art, that's all. :) Seriously, I'm loving all your recent work. I hope you don't stop.

Thanks.

2:33 PM  
Blogger riq said...

Hi Ron,

Great piece!! Looks great. I like the hintof insanity you've put into this.

I'm probably jumping in late, but I love the new incarnation of the joker! The new Batman feel to me like they've re-imagined the character with out the "fantastic" part, and put them into the real world.

The Heath Ledger joker to me is right on because he's just insane- with no excuse.. just insane.

riq.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ron Salas said...

Hey Riq. Sorry for the late reply. Glad you like the pic.


I initially didn't really like the Ledger version of the Joker. He seemed a lot like a mix of Joker and the Crow. I loved Ledger's portrayal, though, when I saw the actual movie b/c he just gave him that hint of menace while still making him funny and actually somewhat likeable. I do love the ironic comment he gave at the end about "We're going to do this forever line" was both a sad commentary about the Batman franchise as a whole as much as about Ledger's death.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home